What are Workflows?
Workflows are activated to add an additional level of governance in digital teams. They control what gets released to your customers through two primary types of Workflows in your Channels:
- Workflows related to sites - Builder
- Workflows related to content - Applications
In this article:
- Configuring Workflows
- Reviewers and Approvers
- Workflows Settings
- Creating Workflows
- Workflows with the Builder
- Reviewing and Approving Workflows
- Workflows Filters
You can activate workflows for the following functionality:
To activate go to Site > Site Settings > Platform > Workflows.
To activate go to Site > Site Settings > Applications > Configuration > Workflows.
Reviewers & Approvers
Reviewers and Approvers have special roles that need to be created by the main administrator. Go to Account > Settings > Roles. You need to create a Role that has Workflows permissions activated. Learn how to create a role.
Once you have the role created you need to assign to your users.
- Go to Account > Customers > People and select your user.
- Click on the tab Site Access and activate the role for the specific site you'd like to have Workflows for the user.
- Make sure to select the switch to activate the role in the site.
To activate select the checkbox "Enable Review Stages". You will need to select a "Default" reviewer and approver if you will have more than one person. In the case of workflows relating to content applications you can select the option to "Show Only User Tasks" which will only show Review and Approve tasks assigned to the specific user in Channels > My Tasks. When you've added your Reviewers and Approvers select Save.
Workflows are similar across your sites. All content (Content, Promotions, Places) pass through the same Workflows process to reach the approved stage.
Editing > Awaiting Review > Awaiting Approval > Approved
When saving content with Workflows you Submit to Review and select the Reviewer. You must always add a comment for clarity and auditability. When sending to the Workflows process all content and widgets can be reviewed in Site > Workflows with their respective stages.
Workflows with the Builder
Workflows that apply to the Builder are treated differently.
- The Builder has Layouts, Navigation, Widgets and Templates. You select
- A modal appears when selecting Review and Publish with Red meaning deletions on the left and, Green meaning additions on the right. When Workflows are activated you select Submit.
- Similar to all Workflows, the modal appears with 2 fields. A dropdown for the Reviewer and the mandatory comment box. When ready you select Submit to Review.
Reviewing and Approving Workflows
When submitted the Reviewer will receive an email notification. The Reviewer will select their assigned task.
There are 6 columns in the list view of Workflows.
- Title: Shows the name of resource.
- Type: Shows the type of resource from either Applications or the Builder.
- Stage: The stages are: Editing, Awaiting review, Awaiting approval, Approved, Deleted.
- Status: The status is either Published or Unpublished.
- Author: The original author (creator) of the resource.
- Last Update: The last edit of the resource.
When reviewing the task, the Reviewer can view the history with comments Differences between the actual version and previous versions, Preview the proposed change and when ready Review.
When selecting Review, the Modal will reappear to move the task forward or back.
- Editing: The resource is being edited.
- Awaiting Review: The resource is ready for review by the Reviewer.
- Awaiting Approval: The resource is ready for approval by the Approver.
- Approved: The resource was successfully approved.
- Reviewer: The person defined to review work initially sent through a workflow.
- Approver: The person who provides the approval once the Reviewer reviews.
- Comments: Every stage requires a comment for auditing purposes.
You can send the resource forward or backward as long as you select the Stage and add a Comment.
You can filter Workflows in 4 ways: Status, Type, Author, Search.
- Status: All, Open, Closed, Editing, Awaiting review, Awaiting approval, Approved
- Type: The resource filters are: All, Album, Audio, File, Templates, Navigation, Place, Post, Promotion, Video, Widget, Layout Page, Home Layout Page, Internal Layout Page, Me Layout Page.
- Author: The original creator of the resource.
- Search: You can search by keywords in the resource title or author.